Friday, May 1, 2009
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
- For the price of one U.S. missile, a school full of hungry children could eat lunch every day for 5 years
- In the U.S. hunger and race are related. In 1991 46% of African-American children were chronically hungry, and 40% of Latino children were chronically hungry compared to 16% of white children.
- The infant mortality rate is closely linked to inadequate nutrition among pregnant women. The U.S. ranks 23rd among industrial nations in infant mortality. African-American infants die at nearly twice the rate of white infants.
- One out of every eight children under the age of twelve in the U.S. goes to bed hungry every night.
Please join the efforts that are being made everyday on behalf of the hungry in your local communities and reach beyond your homeland borders to help the Worlds Hungry Famlies by donating to groups like Heifer International
PLEASE SAY YES TO THE PROSPECT OF HOPE?
Saturday, April 25, 2009
a few shop owners were kind enough to share a little about themselves and some thoughts about the shower - MEET Jolene from locoMOmomma
1. how did you learn your craft?
i taught myself how to crochet when i was about 9 or 10 to fend off bordom--i was raised on a dairy farm in iowa and the only girl in my family. i also used latch hook, embroidery and macrame to make presents for my releatives when i was young. embroidery and crochet are still therapeutic past times for me. i fell in love with amigurumi the moment i saw it. it's super-cute and easy to make up your own patterns or personalize.
2. how long have you been creating baby products?
i have been making items for babies since our oldest was born 7 years ago. i started out designing my own amigurumi dolls for my kids and thier friends. the organic baby toys didn't come to me until i found some fantastic color-grown (not dyed) organic cotton yarn at my local yarn shop. this was right about the time when major retail stores were just starting to carry organic baby toys. i used the basic amigurumi techniques to create a variety of organic baby-friendly toys. since i'm easily bored with long, tedious projects, small baby toys are right up my alley!
3. what made you decide to participate in the etsy baby shower?
i cannot lie---the main reason i decided to participate in the shower was to get exposure for my shop, plus to network with other people that create baby/kid items. plus i just got a new computer and finally have the capability to participate in the chat room (my old one was way slow and out of date)!
4. given your experience with the etsy baby shower would you participate again? yes, i would definitely participate again. the timing this year was bad for me, b/c i couldn't chat as long as i wanted since i had a craft show the next day. but it was fun seeing/reviewing all the items showcased during the chat! plus, it's well organized.
5. any comments you'd like to add? i'm very grateful to all the coordinators of this event for all of thier hard work! i love learning from all the knowlegable people here on etsy, especially within the teams i belong to. they are truely inspirational!
Monday, April 6, 2009
Sunday, March 22, 2009
NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM...
Here's the same out come from a man's perspective...
Sunday, March 15, 2009
4. An all-nighter means not getting up to pee!
2. If raising children was going to be easy, it never would have started with something called 'labor!'
2. Garden Rule: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
3. The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.
4. In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
5. How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
6. Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, 'I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here and drink whatever comes out?'
7. Who was the first person to say, 'See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its butt.'
8. If you understand less than 5 of the items in this post that's good news! the bad news is that it won't be long before you understand them all.
Friday, March 13, 2009
3. 1991 - Exxon pays $1-billion dollars in fines & cleanup of Valdez oil spill
1. In 1936, Tony Lazzeri of the New York Yankees hit 2 Grand Slams in one game for the first time ever in the Major Leagues. Since then, only eleven other players have achieved this feat, making this one of the most amazing and elite hitting feats in the game.
2. In 1912 National League player Casey Stengel played his first ever Major League game and went 4-for-4 at the plate.
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
i'm honored to have been given the coveted Kreativ Blogger Award not once but twice by 2 very wonderful bloggers that i follow and enjoy daily!
THANK YOU ELIZABEAR FROM THE BEAR BUNCH
& SANDEE FROM SEW MUCH DETAIL
List 7 things you love and then pass the award on to 7 people and let them know they won! You can copy the picture of the award and put it on your sideboard letting the whole wide world know you are KReATIV!
Since i have received this award twice i thought i would do my 7 lists 2 different ways - 1st will be 7 things i love in the truest definition of the word LOVE and the 2nd will be a list of 7 things that i love in the everyday sense of the word - you know like "oh i just love the way those plaid shorts look with those white tube socks" LOL so here goes...
7 things that define true LOVE for me...
- my sweet hubby
- my whole family (270+)
- newborn babies
- a hug from someone you love
- words of encouragement
- smiling & laughing
7 things that i "LOVE"
- lattes with little extra foam
- salon facials & manicures *is that 2?*
- sheets dried in the sunshine on a clothesline
- song birds
- holding my husbands hand
- five star dining
- fine art
that was WAY harder than i thought it would be i could have done a list 100's of things long - but it was definitely fun and i thank you for giving me the chance to paticipate!
And lucky 14 are........................
1.) the 6 o'clock stitch
2.) Jangie Handmade by Angie
5.) SimplySentimental The Blog
8.) Lauren Alexander Art
10.) Nun of a Kind...News from the Sisterhood!
11.) Lowell and Son
12.) Chichiboulie - Fun Little Things
13.) kitschen pink
14.) The Curious Rabbit
boy that was WAY hard too - i feel happy that i was able to pick 14 - Congrats to them and please stop by and visit these wonderful blogs