a few shop owners were kind enough to share a little about themselves and some thoughts about the shower - MEET Jolene from locoMOmomma
1. how did you learn your craft?
i taught myself how to crochet when i was about 9 or 10 to fend off bordom--i was raised on a dairy farm in iowa and the only girl in my family. i also used latch hook, embroidery and macrame to make presents for my releatives when i was young. embroidery and crochet are still therapeutic past times for me. i fell in love with amigurumi the moment i saw it. it's super-cute and easy to make up your own patterns or personalize.
2. how long have you been creating baby products?
i have been making items for babies since our oldest was born 7 years ago. i started out designing my own amigurumi dolls for my kids and thier friends. the organic baby toys didn't come to me until i found some fantastic color-grown (not dyed) organic cotton yarn at my local yarn shop. this was right about the time when major retail stores were just starting to carry organic baby toys. i used the basic amigurumi techniques to create a variety of organic baby-friendly toys. since i'm easily bored with long, tedious projects, small baby toys are right up my alley!
3. what made you decide to participate in the etsy baby shower?
i cannot lie---the main reason i decided to participate in the shower was to get exposure for my shop, plus to network with other people that create baby/kid items. plus i just got a new computer and finally have the capability to participate in the chat room (my old one was way slow and out of date)!
4. given your experience with the etsy baby shower would you participate again? yes, i would definitely participate again. the timing this year was bad for me, b/c i couldn't chat as long as i wanted since i had a craft show the next day. but it was fun seeing/reviewing all the items showcased during the chat! plus, it's well organized.
5. any comments you'd like to add? i'm very grateful to all the coordinators of this event for all of thier hard work! i love learning from all the knowlegable people here on etsy, especially within the teams i belong to. they are truely inspirational!